State Licensing

United States Massage Licensing Laws

Licensing and State Regulation

While Rolfing is exempt from licensure in the state of Colorado, massage therapy is not. If you are a massage therapist in the state of Colorado and plan to also practice Rolfing® SI, you are required to apply for licensure through the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA), 1560 Broadway, Suite 110, Denver, CO 80202
(303) 894-7855 - Phone
(800) 886-7675 - Toll-Free
(303) 894-7885 - Fax

Graduates of the DIRI Rolfing (SI) Certification program are not required to obtain licensure to solely practice Rolfing in the following 13 states.

  1. Alaska
  2. Colorado
  3. Georgia- see definition
  4. Idaho
  5. Illinois
  6. Indiana
  7. Maine
  8. Massachusetts
  9. Minnesota - does not license MT at a state level
  10. Montana
  11. New Mexico
  12. Wisconsin
  13. Wyoming - does not regulate MT at this time

Rolf Movement® is exempt from licensure in the following three states, which means that graduates are not required to obtain a license if they plan to solely practice Rolf Movement in the state. Rolfing Structural Integration does require a Massage Therapy license in these states.

  1. Iowa
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Rhode Island

Requirements for other states may vary so please check with the state or local agency (city, county, parish, etc.) in which you plan to practice.

If you plan to practice as both a Rolfer® and a Massage Therapist in a state that requires a Massage Therapy license but has a Rolfer exemption, to practice Rolfing SI you are required to apply for a massage license through the state's Regulatory Agency.

Click HERE for the full list of state regulations (current as of February 2024).

**Disclaimer: The Dr. Ida Rolf Institute® is not liable for the content of this guideline. All information contained herein is subject to change at any time from the various state and local agencies involved with professional licensure. It is imperative to check directly with those agencies for current information. DIRI does its best to update the requirements as needed.

Please note that local municipal ordinances may apply in the absence of State Regulation so please check with the local agency (city, county, parish, etc.) in which you plan to practice.

The Dr. Ida Rolf Institute does not guarantee job placement or the acceptance of transfer hours to other bodywork programs. Click HERE for Placement and Career Services information.

Students enrolled in the 731-hour Rolfing Certification Program are concurrently enrolled in the Massage and Bodywork Program. Upon successful completion of the program, students will have met and exceeded the licensing requirements for massage practice per Colorado Revised Statute 12-35.5-117 (§ 12-35.5-117, C.R.S.).

While this program does exceed the minimum requirements, students should not consider the program as a terminal certificate for massage alone but rather as preparation to be Structural Integrators.     

Requirements for other states may vary so please check with the State Agency where you will practice. The following resources may be used to assist you: